THE COAT OF ARMS OF THE PROVINCE OF SASKATCHEWAN
In 1986, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II granted a full coat of arms to Saskatchewan. On September 16 of that year, Governor General Jeanne Sauve signed the Royal Warrant for the new armorial bearings on behalf of Her Majesty at a ceremony in the Legislative Chamber. On the same occasion, Lieutenant Governor F.W. Johnson signed a Royal Proclamation bringing the new coat of arms into official use.
The top of the shield of arms features a red lion, a traditional royal symbol, on a horizontal gold band; the middle and lower parts of the shield feature three gold wheat sheaves on a green background, symbolizing Saskatchewan's agriculture and resources.
The shield is supported by a royal lion and a white-tailed deer, an animal indigenous to Saskatchewan. Both supporters wear collars of Prairie Indian beadwork. From each collar hangs a badge in the form of the six pointed star (stylized lily) of the Saskatchewan Order of Merit. The badge worn by the lion displays Canada's emblem, the maple leaf, while the badge worn by the deer displays Saskatchewan's official flower, the western red lily.
Immediately above the shield is a helmet, which represents Saskatchewan's co-sovereign status within the Confederation. The helmet is decorated with mantling in Canada's national colours - red and white. Above the helmet is a wreath which supports a beave - Canada's national animal. The beaver represents the North, the fur trade and the province's native people. The beaver holds a western red lily, the floral emblem of the province. The Crown, a symbol of Saskatchewan's direct link with the Sovereign through the Lieutenant Governor, surmounts the beaver at the top of the coat of arms.
Below the shield is a compartment of western red lillies, slipped and leaved, supporting a scroll with the provincial motto MULTIS E GENTIBUS VIRES; Latin for "From Many Peoples Strength." The motto expresses Saskatchewan's multicultural heritage, the contribution of the Indian and Native cultures, and the key role of immigration in the province. The root meaning of the Latin gens (from gentibus is derived) is "people" in the sense of race or origin. The word vires connotes vigour, energy and mental strength. The Latin rendering was suggested by the words of a poem by the Roman poet Catullus.
THE OFFICIAL FLAG OF THE PROVINCE OF SASKATCHEWAN
Saskatchewan's flag was adopted by the province's legislative assembly and proclaimed by the Lieutenant Governor, The Honourable Robert L. Hanbidge in 1969. The flag is divided horizontally into two equal parts; one green, the other gold. The green represents the northern forests of the province and the gold symbolizes the southern grain fields. The Saskatchewan shield of arms, granted in 1906 under King Edward VII is in the upper left quarter of the flag near the staff. The provincial floral emblem, the western red lily, is positioned on the fly half of the flag. The flag is based on a design by Anthony Drake, whose submission was chosen in a provincial design competition. The flag's proportions are two by length and one by width.
THE OFFICIAL TARTAN OF THE PROVINCE OF SASKATCHEWAN
Saskatchewan's official tartan, registered at the Court of the Lord Lyon, King of Arms of Scotland, 1961, was designed by Mrs. Frank L. Bastedo, the wife of a former lieutenant governor. The tartan has seven colours with gold representing prairie wheat; brown for summerfallow; green for the forests; red for the prairie lily; yellow for canola and sunflower; white for snow and black for oil and coal.
THE GREAT SEAL OF SASKATCHEWAN
The First Great Seal of Saskatchewan
The Saskatchewan Act of 1905, establishing the Province of Saskatchewan, authorized the Lieutenant Governor to "adopt and provide a Great Seal" and to change it when required. The shield of arms appeared on the first Great Seal of Saskatchewan, which was authorized by order-in-council on November 26, 1906, and came into use on December 1 of that year. This Great Seal was in continuous use for eighty-five years, until replaced in 1991.
The Great Seal of Saskatchewan of 1991
By order-in-council of May 7, 1991, the Government of Saskatchewan authorized a new Great Seal incorporating the coat of arms. Lieutenant Governor Sylvia Fedoruk brought this Great Seal into use by Royal Proclamation on November 1, 1991. In the centre of the 1991 Great Seal is the coat of arms of the Province of Saskatchewan. In 1991, Saskatchewan adopted the historic practice of incorporating the name of the reigning monarch on the Great Seal. Surrounding the coat of arms is the legend "Elizabeth II Queen of Canada, The Great Seal of the Province of Saskatchewan." The Great Seal is thus the official seal of the Queen in right of Saskatchewan and the ultimate symbol of authority and sovereignty in th province. At the installation of the Lieutenant Governor, the Queen's representative symbolically entrusts the Great Seal to the safekeeping of the Provincial Secretary. The Great Seal is imprinted on proclamations, letters patent, and other significant state documents signed by the Lieutenant Governor in the name of the Sovereign. It is normally impressed on an adhesive red wafer affixed to the document concerned.
"The Crown is an important symbol of our identity and untiy as Canadians."
-- Honourble Joanne Crofford, Saskatchewan MLA February 2002
ROYAL DESIGNATION BY THE CROWN IN SASKATCHEWAN